Celluloid balls revolutionized the game of Ping-Pong
By Larry LeMasters
In 1902 Parker Brothers replaced the India rubber ball in its version of table tennis with a small, white ball made of Celluloid, and history was made. The game was first called “Table Tennis,” but it soon became famously known as Ping-Pong. The new Celluloid ball made a distinct sound when struck with a paddle — a sort of “ping-pong” sound, so the name stuck, and Ping-Pong was born.